Mold is an extremely small and dangerous element that belongs to the family of fungi. It is able to thrive on almost any surface in your home, especially objects that are cellulose-based. Molds are present almost everywhere in the environment, and while they can be harmful, they also are a big part of the ecosystem.
While molds are important, you may not want them lurking in your home. Here are 5 steps for detecting unwanted mold growths in your home.
- Launch a search operation : Check to see if there is a visible sign of mold growth in your home. If you are unsure what it looks like, molds are have cotton-like features that often appear in shades such as gray, white, black, or green. Black mold can be especially dangerous, so it is important to consider watching for signs of growth.
- Use your sense of smell. If you smell some distinct mold odors, consider searching immediately. .
- Check your basement floor. Check around your basement for indications of extra mustiness or damage. Cold and rainy weather can lead to extra problems. If the windows are foggy during the winter, you may want to consider finding where the extra moisture is coming from.
- Know that some molds are hidden. Some experts will agree that some of the worst mold is unseen, such as in air conditioning units, duct-work, or in the walls. Since they are hard to see, they can creep up when they are unexpected. These molds can swell up rapidly while undetected.
- Ask a Certified Mold Inspector. In some instances, it may be necessary to contact a mold inspector. This may be important if you are unable to find the mold on your own. Mold inspectors will have the proper understanding of pinpointing the exact location of mold issues.
The bottom line is, that the key to total prevention is awareness of the problem. Click here to contact your Vancouver WA mold removal specialist for help.